11 November 2008

Missed The Identity Theft Bullet!

Recently, every Tuesday and Thursday I receive a prerecorded phone call on my house phone saying to "Please call the Bank Data Center at such and such number." Well, I thought they were calling for the wrong people and I ignored it. I got fed up last Thursday and called them back. Some guy on there said I owed money to San Antonio Community Hospital and I called him a fucker and said nice try at fraud. He even said I was calling from a 909 number, I was not. He put me back on hold when I kept cursing him out and then I hung up.

Well, the message called again today so I called the police. Turns out the company is legit. Whoops, and that San Antonio Community Hospital is in California, with a 909 area code. The officer was concerned that maybe I had my identity stolen after he talked with the company for a bit. I gave him the last four of my social and luckily, my identity has not been stolen because the numbers did not match.

I have a painfully common name and this company is somehow calling my house phone in Washington while trying to call this other person with my name in California. The representative that the wonderful Police Officer talked to did not understand the officer when he told her that she had the wrong person and was calling me in Washington. She seriously did not understand and told him that after 90 days it goes back to the hospital for court collection action. So, basically I will probably have to deal with phone calls for the next 90 days.

Just for good measure though, I will be getting my credit reports pulled because if this in on any of them I will be throwing a shit fit. Its not my fault if this company can not understand that they are calling Washington state and not California.

I am so glad that I have not had my identity stolen. I was really starting to freak out for a few minutes there, because I have no idea what to do in that situation. I just know to get my credit reports and call the police.

Let this be a lesson to everyone, please, please for the love of Goddess, get your credit reports EVERY year. Watch them carefully and get something like lifelock to watch your credit. You never know what kind of shady people are out there. You also never know how common your name is.

No comments: