15 December 2008

Garden Plans

I have been thinking about garden plans for the spring. I really want to build some sort of compost bin. I have been noticing a lot lately how much stuff I toss in the trash or recycling that I can compost and its quite frightening. I would love to build one that looks like a deck box. Unfortunately, all the plans I am currently finding are a bit too big for our yard. I will probably find something after much more searching.

I really need to get my seed list together and look into how much its going to cost to order what I need. I would like to try my hand at potatoes this year, I might even try the tire system though not sure how healthy or economical that would be. I also want to try trellising to give me more garden space and that will probably work with quite a few things, including the usual vertical growing things such as beans.

I am so going to have to come up with a better food storage system, especially with all the food I hope to grow. I currently have things like potatoes, onions and fruit on the counters which just does not work well considering how little counter space I have compared to the last house. It might help if Hubby were home to build me the things I could use in the kitchen.

Speaking of Hubby, I am missing him even more now that this weather is freaking out. Right now its 28 degrees outside according to MSN and I am freezing, even with the heat at 68 degrees. I have the thermostat automatically programmed to be at 65* for most of the day and 68* for the first few hours of the night. Its not really working to keep the heat low during the day because of how cold it is. I am very afraid of what my next power bill will be like.

Hopefully this crazy winter storm will pass and this will be the last one we have for the season.

No comments: